There is nothing worse than the thought that you may lose a lot of your hair. There are many reasons hair loss can occur, including hereditary factors, poor diet, illness, and some medications. However, getting treatment for this type of hair loss often depends on the underlying cause. For those that know hair loss is likely to happen, such as due to aging, it may be possible to prevent it. For others, it is about reducing the amount of future hair loss after starting to see it happen? Can you do it? Your best tips for hair loss prevention are below.
#1: Care for your hair properly
The latest style craze, coloring, or over-the-top product use isn't the best option when it comes to hair loss prevention. Caring for your hair properly can help you to reduce many of the hair loss risks. Here are some tips:
- Avoid the constant high use of heat including in hair treatments and curling irons.
- Avoid the use of over dyeing your hair. You can dye it, but don't do it too frequently.
- Reduce the amount of chemicals you use in your hair on a regular basis.
#2: Eat the right diet for hair loss prevention
Next, look to prevention through your diet. The foods you eat provide nutrients to your follicles and help hair to grow thicker and stronger. You don't have to limit a lot of your favorites, but you do need to get as many hair-healthy nutrients into your diet, including:
- Foods rich in iron such as meats, fortified cereals, leafy green vegetables
- Protein from healthy sources such as seafood, eggs, lean meats, and soy
- Vitamin C rich foods such as citrus, green leafy vegetables, and baked potatoes
- Omega-3 fatty acid foods such as walnuts, tuna, salmon, and flaxseed
#3: Reduce your stress levels
Stress is a big factor in healthy hair and one of the most common causes of hair loss for those who are otherwise healthy and young. As mentioned, you'll need to get eat a healthy diet to combat stress's impact on your body but you can also do the following:
- Get 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night
- Get regular exercise - aim for 20 to 30 minutes each day
- Find ways to relax that you enjoy such as reading, swimming, getting a massage
#4: Have your thyroid checked
The thyroid is one of the most important organs of the body and you probably don't think about it often. This organ, located just above the collarbone in the neck, tells your body's organs how to work. It does this by stimulating hormone releases into the body. This includes hair related hormones. If you are feeling healthy, but tired or drained, you may have thyroid disease. It is always a good idea to have blood work done to ensure that your thyroid is working at its best level. If you are experiencing some hair loss that's otherwise unexplained, talk to your doctor about getting a thyroid test.
#5: At risk? Get help now
If you are at risk of hair loss, because of the medications you need to take or because of your genetic history, it is a good idea to talk to your doctor about medications and treatments that you can begin using now to minimize the risks. Seeing a specialist and help you to determine if you should take steps towards more aggressive hair loss prevention or not.
Most importantly, be pro-active. If you are experiencing hair loss right now, talk to your doctor about it and about your overall health options. Discuss your unique needs, your goals, and the risks you believe you are facing. Your doctor will offer recommendations. You can also talk to your stylist about other ways of caring and styling for your hair that reduce the risk of hair loss. This is the best first step to take for most people.